Tuesday, May 26, 2020

How to Stay Out of the Belly of a Great Fish


God came to Jonah, His prophet, with an assignment that would take him to Nineveh. Jonah wasn't thrilled about what he was being asked to do so he decided to take a cruise in the opposite direction. Not long into the voyage a great storm comes up threatening to take the boat and everyone aboard. Jonah tells the crew that the storm is his fault and the only way to save the ship and themselves is to throw him into the sea.
The crew hesitate at first but then reluctantly throw Jonah overboard. Here's what happen's next ...

Jonah 1:15 - 17 (ESV)
 
So they picked up Jonah and hurled him into the sea, and the sea ceased from its raging. Then the men feared the Lord exceedingly, and they offered a sacrifice to the Lord and made vows.

And the Lord appointed a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

At the end of the 'time-out' God commands the fish to vomit Jonah on the beach. It does so and Jonah is given another chance to obey. He does so and the message God gave him to deliver to Nineveh brings revival. An entire people are saved because Jonah was obedient ... eventually

So here's the question I asked myself after reading this: "How can I stay out of the belly of a great fish?" I think the answer is two-fold:

First, I need to realize that God always wins. His will always trumps my plans. The sooner I can get onboard with His agenda the better. If I take too long, He will have me thrown overboard, send a Great Fish to swallow me, and provide three days and three nights for me to adjust my plans and attitude  before given a second chance.
 
Second, any journey with God both starts and is sustained by quick and total obedience.
 
If I want to stay out of the belly of the great fish that come my way in this life then I need to keep God in charge, and respond to His direction with immediate and complete obedience.

You can read the whole story here: Jonah 1 - 4.

No comments: